Dear Student Exhibitor and Parents, Guardians, and Teachers,
In 2019, we are keeping the venue of the Alaska Science and Engineering Fair at the Northway Mall, which allows for a more community based event than at previous locations. As such, the following are some suggestions to make your experience a good one.
Elementary level students will be staged in the Burlington central courtyard of the mall; middle and high school students will be located outside of that area. Enter through the Burlington Coat entry for registration. Volunteers will assist you through your sign in, safety check and set up.
Elementary school students, our volunteer judges will review a lot of projects. It is very important that you arrive a little bit early for your selected time slot, so you can check in and be at your project on time. You may need to stay a little longer than an hour, depending on the volume of projects that need to be judged that hour.
Middle School and High School students will spend a half day speaking with judges. The categories are roughly split up as life science from 9 a.m. to noon and physical science from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Please review the schedule of events to confirm the judging time for your category.
What to bring:
- Bring your project board and all your data, books, or other things that are allowed to be shown during the presentation. You will have your display’s safety reviewed during check-in on Friday. There may be some things you used during your research that you can’t display at the fair due to safety reasons, such as glass, liquids, and live cells. Some “unsafe” things may be sent away again, but don’t let this worry you. Your display board can show pictures and you can talk about the things you used. You don’t need to reproduce your research at the science fair. The judges care most about your understanding of what you did and what you learned.
- Bring money for meals, snacks, and beverages, if allowed, or pack food from home.
- Bring a camp chair if you want a chair the entire time you’re there; some chairs will be available, but are limited in number.
When you are not at your project for judging; have a science adventure; visit the STEM organizations and their interactive displays.
For parents please consider the opportunity to view the projects. The following shops are in the immediate vicinity if you have time to do some shopping: Burlington Coat Factory, Home Depot, Planet Fitness, Carrs Safeway, Dollar Store, Joanne Fabrics, Costco, US Post Office, Bass Pro Shop, Michaels Craft, Pet Co., and several restaurants and coffee places.
Finally remember follow holiday shopping protocols as you would at any mall: Lock your car and keep valued items out of sight. We have basic first aid, with Fire Station 3 just around the corner.
We look forward to seeing you at the Alaska Science & Engineering Fair!
We Thank Our Sponsors
- Chugach Gem and Mineral Society
- Doug Molyneaux
- Anchorage Mayor's Community Grant
- Fur Rendezvous/Greater Anchorage, Inc.
- Upper One Studios Inc.
- Society of Petroleum Engineers, Alaska
- Elks Lodge Anchorage #2868
- Home Depot
- Northern Utility Services, LLC