2018 Alaska Science & Engineering Fair
The 63rd Alaska Science & Engineering Fair “Explore your STEM Universe” event will be March 23-25, 2018 at the Northway Mall in Anchorage, Alaska.
The Northway Mall is located at 3101 Penland Parkway, Anchorage, Alaska.
- Online Registration for K-12 Alaska Students: All participants must register online at least two days before the science fair.
- Registration Night: Friday, March 23, 2018, 5:00PM–8:30PM, at the Northway Mall. This is the night before the judging event.
- Registration Night is when you submit your paperwork, pay the entry fee (the fee is waived for online registrations received early!), go through the safety check, set up your project, and receive your Science Fair T-shirt. Senior High students must also turn in their paperwork for their final Scientific Review.
- Arrive any time between 5:00PM–7:30PM. Allow approximately an hour to register. Please do not arrive early. 5:00PM tends to be the busiest; try a little later for faster registration times.
- Late registration is available on Saturday morning only for those students who meet the following criteria: 1. The teacher/chaperone has notified the Science Fair Director of the late registration; 2. The student has done an electronic registration by noon on Thursday (the day before Registration Night).
- 2018 ASEF Registration Schedule (PDF)
- Main Judging Event: Saturday, March 24, 2018 at the Northway Mall. Official judging times vary depending on age group. Specialty Judges will be judging all day. We suggest middle school and high school students stay all day to have the best chance at talking with the specialty judges. 2018 ASEF Schedule of Events (PDF)
- Awards Ceremony: Sunday, March 25, 2018. 1:00PM, at the Northway Mall. Duration approximately 2 hours.
Note to High School students: High School students, please do your paperwork before you begin your research. Your eligibility for the top prizes depends on having your paperwork in order. This site has the 2018 forms posted. You may also find them at the International Science & Engineering Fair (ISEF) site: https://student.societyforscience.org/intel-isef-forms.
|Prepare for your project’s safety check! When you set up your project at Registration, it must have a safety inspection. These pages extracted from the Safety Inspector Training slide show (1.3MB PDF) describe items that may not be on your project display.
You can use items such as glass tubing, vinegar, and plant soil during your research, but please don’t bring such items to the science fair. Take pictures of them! Put the pictures on your display.
Do you need these “unsafe” items at the science fair? No! Do your project ahead of time. At the science fair, describe what you did. The judges care that you can express your understanding of your project; they do not need you to reproduce the work in front of them.
Objects like these belong in a picture on your display board. Do not bring them to the science fair.
We Thank Our Sponsors
- Chugach Gem and Mineral Society
- Doug Molyneaux
- Anchorage Mayor's Grant
- Fur Rendezvous/Greater Anchorage, Inc.
- Upper One Studios Inc.
- Society of Petroleum Engineers, Alaska
- Elks Lodge Anchorage #2868
- Home Depot
- Northern Utility Services, LLC